Friday, January 4, 2008

Scripture Reflection: 1 Timothy 2:3-7 (NIV)

"3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time. 7And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles".

"the man Christ Jesus" makes it clear that we should take on this conversation. If Jesus is the "mediator" the man who stands between us and God, the man that makes us right with God, the man who saves us, frees us, forgives us, and makes us new, we need this conversation, like we need breath. We need to study him, reflect on him, get to know him, and listen to him. My life, your life, the lives of people all around us need this conversation. Salvation is at stake, life is at stake, and hope is at stake.

"who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth". Another haunting part of this passage. God is in the business of saving and teaching us truth. Truth in our culture has become not necessary because we can make it up as we go, or whatever feels right, or whatever your friends tells you, that is your truth. I want us to wrestle with the truth and ask the tough questions. That is part of seeking truth. We are all seekers in need of truth.

God wants all people to seek Him and his truth, it is what we are created for, it is the longing of our hearts. God embraces you where ever you are on your journey of truth. Don't be afraid to ask questions, express doubts, sound silly, or not know the right answers. This is not the point of this site. We are all on a spiritual journey together, and that is why we want to have conversations and not debates. I hope our conversations lead to better questions and will in turn lead to living better and coming to know Jesus maybe in a fresh way or for the first time. If we all become better disciples of Jesus we have done something special.

Questions for reflection and discussion:

1. What words or phrases excite you, scare you, or cause you to have questions?
2. What can we do to enhance our study of Jesus as a historical figure?
3. Who is Jesus to you? ...and how is he portrayed in our culture and in the church (for good or ill)?
4. If Jesus is the mediator and the source of salvation for all humans what is our role and how do other religions fit into this plan?
5. What basic questions do you have about Jesus?

Please respond to one another in a respectful manner.

4 comments:

Kim in Training said...

"Who is Jesus to you?" The most vivid mental picture I have of Jesus, the one that grabs me, twists my insides, shakes me up and changes me is found in the garden. (Luke 22:39-46) This part of the Bible more than any other tells me that Jesus understands me and that he knows what I go through.

This passage says to me that Jesus, in the strange way he can be 100% God and at the same time 100% man, wasn't so otherworldly that he skipped to the cross (tra-la-la-la-la). It explains or illuminates Hebrews 12:2 which says that Jesus endured the cross despising the shame for the joy that was set before him.

Those two passages combined say to me that when I struggle to do the right thing, when it is hard for me, that struggle isn't wrong. There is no shame in the struggle. It gives me strength to do the right thing--to say 'yes' to the will of God even when it's hard. It also tells me that when trials are overwhelming and sorrow and burdens are painful and put me at my breaking point, that I need not beat myself up for not feeling joyful in the midst. Even Jesus endured for the joy that was ahead of him. He despised the shame, and so there is no condemnation, no guilt when I despise my painful, troubling, shameful circumstances.

That is my favorite picture of Jesus. He is the one who endured the shame, the pain, the degradation, not easily, but well. He bore all for the love of me and to do the will of God the Father. His horrific tortuous sacrifice made it possible for me to be healed.

ryan p said...

Great picture of the God-man!

Anonymous said...

i have found that the problem with religions is that the focus is on what man is doing. with God, it is always about what He is doing. I only see this truth in the Bible and have not understood religions of the world enough to really know what is in their books, just that they require much of their followers.

faith in Christ stands out. Everyone stumbles over Jesus' claims that He is one with the Father, and the way, the truth, and the life. i don't know why, but i am drawn to believe Christ because He is singled out among all faiths across the world with whom everyone has a problem. the more they protest, the more i believe.

ryan p said...

Great insight. How do you know if you have done enough to please God? That is the problem with most world religions, and what makes the grace of Jesus so breath taking!!!