Friday, February 29, 2008

Jesus Unplugged, done, but not completely


As we say goodbye to our series "Jesus Unplugged", it should only be the beginning of our journey. Series come and go, but hopefully lead us to further investigation, study, wrestling, and reflection. I have been so moved and become even more hungry for God, namely Jesus, and his mission in the world, through this series. As we journey towards Good Friday (Cross) and Easter (Resurrection), I look forward to the ways Jesus will open our eyes, hearts, and hands to be his kingdom and resurrected people in the world.


Our new series "Walk After Me" will keep us moving towards what it means to follow Jesus in the world.


I am going to continue to write on this blog for your enjoyment, and my own reflection. So keep coming back as we journey with Jesus together. Pick my brain! It helps me grow too...

1 comment:

Kim in Training said...

I regret that I have not paid as much attention to this blog as I would have liked. Things like work, computer breakdowns and general business have gotten in the way. I do think it is a great way for us blogger-types to go a bit deeper in discussion of the things of faith and to share that discussion with those who may be seeking.

That being said, I wonder if you can help us wrestle through great issues of faith.

One in particular that I have been thinking about a lot for a few years now is church unity. I don't mean CCR unity (although that is a place to begin), but unity through Christendom. I grew up in a family that is so into doctrine (and right doctrine IS important), but they are so into right doctrine that doctrinal issues put a rift in the family.

What is communion? Is it the literal taking of the body and blood of the Lord in some mystical way? Is it a symbolic ordinance that nevertheless has great significance in our lives? Do we baptize infants? Do we sprinkle? Do we immerse? These issues as well as many others are what limit our fellowship with other Christ-followers.

I am troubled by this. Yes there is sin in the church. Yes there are denominations that have gone far outside of scripture and have bent themselves to the prevailing culture and yes, we must take a stand against false teachers and false doctrine. But the disunity and self-righteousness that comes from our denominationalism or non-denominationalism is an ugly thing.

One part of the bride of Christ is looking at another part of the bride and calling it unholy and unworthy of fellowship. This should not be! And yet, what are we going to do to bridge the gap between us and the church that is right across Flintridge from us? Or Rocky Mountain Calvary, just down Academy?

Is Northern Churches Care the only way we interact? Do we see ourselves as better than others? I'm asking this of myself, too. Do I see myself and CCR as better than the little, old-fashioned Baptist church my parents now attend? Than the Plymouth Brethren church of much of my teen and adult years?

How do we bridge these gaps?